By: Venus Mari Zapedzki
SWAT Raid on Clam Ends in Shoot-Out; Eight Wounded
Three HPD officers and five suspected Haven members were injured after gunfire erupted during a SWAT operation at the Clam grocery store.
An HPD SWAT raid on the Clam grocery store on Saturday, August 8, turned into a shoot-out which left three police officers and five suspects injured.
Detective Inspector Krystal O’Neill, chief of the Hathian Police Department, told the Observer that all five wounded suspects were members of the Haven Gang. She said none of the injured suspects or officers were believed to have suffered serious injuries, and all were taken to Hathian General Hospital for treatment.
The Clam grocery store has for some time been widely suspected of being a Haven Gang hang-out.
The raid began with the arrival of an HPD mobile command vehicle and two MRAP armoured vehicles carrying members of the SWAT team. The MRAPs pulled up outside the grocery store while the command vehicle stopped outside the neighbouring Observer office.
It was, in fact, the command vehicle arriving outside our office which alerted this reporter, who had been working inside, that something was happening and that it might be sensible to go and find out what.
According to an HPD spokesperson, the purpose of the raid was to apprehend a number of suspects. Inspector O’Neill declined to name those being sought because of the continuing investigation, but confirmed that those arrested were members of Haven.
Gunfire began almost immediately after members of the SWAT team disembarked. Two Haven members opened fire on officers, who returned fire. By the time the shooting stopped, five Haven members were on the ground and three officers had also been wounded.
During the exchange, this reporter heard somebody shout, “She was unarmed!”
Inspector O’Neill said she was unaware of the circumstances behind the shout, telling the Observer: “All suspects were considered armed and dangerous.”
A number of witnesses had taken cover across the road from the shooting, and the voice may have come from that group. At present, however, the Observer cannot establish who shouted it, who they were referring to, or whether the claim was accurate. We will continue trying to establish what happened.
Asked whether HPD intended to issue a formal press release, Inspector O’Neill said:
The Observer will report further details if and when HPD releases additional information.
